KB_Artist

Can someone tell me if there is a difference between just placing free floating nodes, vs placing them with the orange connecting lines. I see some people just place nodes everywhere without orange connecting lines, and some who place only a few orange connecting lines. Is there a difference? Do the connecting lines do something that just placing nodes free floating does not?
KB_Artist

Erika

Are you referring to mesh vertices and edges? more can be found about them at this section of the user guide:
Meshes - Spine User Guide: Edges

In short, the only difference is that the orange edges force the geometry you want and not the automatic one from Spine based on the shortest distance between vertices.
Erika

Erikari

Søren

If the question does indeed revolve around mesh vertices, it's also worth mentioning that only vertices connected by a manual edge (orange edge) will be affected when smoothing weights.
Søren

Shiu

KB_Artist

@Erika and @Soren,

Yes, sorry...I meant mesh vertices and edges when I said nodes.
Both of your responses were very helpful. I think I get it now. Thank you both so much.

Follow up question then, why would you not just orange line connect everything if it allows for better weight and geometry edge control?
KB_Artist

Søren

Glad to hear it was helpful.

You shouldn't need to do manual edges for every mesh, but in some areas it can be helpful for deformation. Not having to create manual edges speeds up the workflow quite a lot.

Regarding better weights. Manual edges doesn't create better weights, but can help you set up your weights faster. Coming from a 3D background I sometimes find it hard not to create manual edges for everything, but for 2D it is simply not required to do so.
Søren

Shiu

KB_Artist

Great info. Thanks again.
KB_Artist

Return to Editor