PastelStoic

I have pictures of knees, they look like this:
Слой 4 (вставлено).png

For the life of me, I can't figure out where to put the bones and vertexes to make it bend convincingly. Every attempt at searching for a tutorial assumes I'm seeking chiropractic help. Anyone know how to do this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PastelStoic

skarasuko

I took the liberty of attempting to resolve your issue. First, I recommend creating a reference of the bone setup like I created for this Spine file. This can make it easier to align the two layers in the joints. The clothing on the knee and the hard color shading made it slightly difficult to create the mesh vertexes.

I've been creating animations with full body characters for a while, and the mesh setup for joints is still a complex part of production for me. Let me know what you think~.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
skarasuko

PastelStoic

Thanks, that was a great guide!
PastelStoic

Nate

Thanks skarasuko! You rock! :cooldoge:
Nate

Nate

Friebel

Nicely done @skarasuko. This software is so great, seeing how well the knee bending looks. I'm so glad I've upgraded to pro! 8) :D Just saying.
Friebel

zooropa

Really nice joint animation there skarasuko, it looks great!

Looking at the example as a newbie and trying to understand it, I am wondering what is the role of the intermediary "knee" bone. As far as I can tell there is only one vertex point that is influenced by both "thigh" and "knee" bones here: https://prnt.sc/v768hx

So, was there a particular reason to use 2 separate bones there or is that just best practice for some reason? Thanks!
zooropa

skarasuko

zooropa wrote:So, was there a particular reason to use 2 separate bones there or is that just best practice for some reason? Thanks!
This is my personal, and probably common, practice for the joints, because I often simulate the 3D space the best way I can. Binding the rotating bone can cause problems when you want to Translate the joint area back and forth for the foreshortened perspective of the body parts.

So, if you bind the rotating "shin" bone and not the "knee" bone, it will cause unintended deformations on the middle of the Thigh, which is not supposed to have any rotation warps. Instead, the middle of the Thigh should only bind to the "thigh" and "knee" bone. The "knee" bone's only transformation would consist of Translate and Scale depending on the animation.

The Weights, as it is now, is incomplete because I wasn't demonstrating this. So, there needs to be some more Weight of the knee toward the top of the Thigh.
skarasuko

zooropa

Ah, ok. Thanks for the explanation!
zooropa

Return to Editor